Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Analyzing my family's Laos Silver bars


These are Lao Silver bars, passed down through my family since the early 19th century. These silver bars were made as tools for religious ceremonies and as a form of currency. These bars were a very valuable item in Laos, as they were also a symbol of status. The older the bar was, the more it was respected as "old money". The main way to identify the worth of each piece is to look at the weight. To put the worth of the silver bars into perspective, just 5 half-pound pieces could buy a 500 pound cow. Additionally, the bars could be used to "buy" a bride. The engravings on each piece are inspired by the Dok Phikoun flower, and was originally only intended to be currency for the royal family.





The silver used to create the bars is actually sterling silver (92+%). From what my family has told me, it would reduce the worth of the bars if one was to clean them, as it essentially removes its history. Each bar in its current condition is worth $200-300 USD online.

These Silver bars are priceless antiques that have helped me learn a lot about the history of my family and my native country. I hope then when they are passed to me from my parents I am able to inform others about how important the bars were to those living in Laos and those that came to the United States.




1 comment: