Friday, April 12, 2013

Making Firecake!

After doing extensive research of the many types of food cooked during the Revolutionary War, I decided to make Firecake, a food eaten by Colonial soldiers during the Revolutionary War. Very simple to make, this Firecake only had 2, sometimes 3 components: water, flour, and sometimes salt.

Ingredients: I made my Firecake with ingredients as close as possible to those originally used.

> Flour

>Water

>Salt

There is no specific measurement of each ingredient as the only requirement is that the Firecake is thick and damp before you cook it. I also made a small fire in my backyard to cook it on top of.



1. Mix together the ingredients until you get a texture close to mashed potatoes.



2. Place on hot rocks to cook.



3. Eat when the dough is cooked!



I'll admit... that was not the most exciting thing I have eaten in my life. It really, really does not taste great and makes you smell like smoke afterwards! The main reason this food was made so quickly is because the Colonial soldiers were constantly moving around, they were forced to create a food that would last a long time. However, it is still interesting to see what Colonial soldiers ate in the past.





No comments:

Post a Comment