Monday, April 15, 2013

Analyzing my Great-grandfather's Opium Scale


Chinese Opium Scale



This is an Chinese Opium Scale, handed down to me by my father. This scale has been handed down for four generations. The scale was used to measure the weight of opium and other drugs or herbs. My great- grandfather and my grandfather used it in their trade back in Laos. It was very valuable to them, because a small difference in weight could create a large change in price. As a herb scale, it was used to determine how much medicine would be administered. The scale has a wooden "neck" and is connected to a plate made of brass by string, as well as a mass/weight to counterbalance the plate. There is also a hand-carved wooden container for the scale with notches for all of the components.

From what my father has told me, this scale was made in China during the nineteenth century. It was bought by my great-grandfather, for a few pennies during his time period. The scale is almost in the same condition as when my great-grandfather bought it, but unfortunately, my grandfather lost the counter-balance weight during 1979, when they immigrated to the Unites States from Laos. My grandfather replaced the brass weight with lead and a dime. Even though this does detract from its value, it is still worth $100-200 online in this condition.

The scale is a memorable keepsake for me and serve as a conversation tool to learn about my ancestors and their struggles in a third world country. I plan to pass it down to my children and hope that it continues to be a motivational item to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment